Get Your Dream Smile Faster with AcceledentJune 30, 2022
How to Spot the Warning Signs of Oral CancerAugust 26, 2022
TMJ Treatment in Chalfont
TMJ can be a very painful disorder that has a wide range of adverse consequences on your health. It can lead to severe headaches, neck pain, and even tooth loss. Thankfully, there are a number of highly effective treatments available for TMJ, including TMJ surgery. At Highpoint Dental Medicine, we offer state-of-the-art dental solutions for treating this painful disorder.
TMJ is short for temporomandibular joint disorder, named after the temporomandibular joint. This joint is located on either side of your head, just in front of your ears. It acts as a hinge, connecting your lower jaw (mandible) to your skull. TMJ disorders can occur when this joint isn’t working properly. This dysfunction may be the result of pressure, tension, inflammation, or other damage to the joint or the muscles surrounding it.
What causes TMJ?
There are a number of different factors that can contribute to the development of TMJ disorders, including:
• Teeth grinding (bruxism)
• Dislocation of the joint
• Injury to the joint
The symptoms of TMJ can vary depending on the severity of the condition. However, some common symptoms include:
• Pain in the jaw joint
• Pain in the face, neck, or shoulders
• Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
• Jaw clicking or popping
• Difficulty chewing
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s important to seek treatment as soon as possible. They can vary in severity, but left untreated, they can lead to more serious health problems. Contact us for TMJ treatment even if you think your symptoms are mild. They can actually become exacerbated over time and cause more significant pain and damage.
Consequences of TMJ
Left untreated, TMJ can lead to a number of serious health problems, including:
- Tooth loss
- Inability to open or close mouth fully
TMJ Treatment in Chalfont
At Highpoint Dental Medicine, we offer professional TMJ treatment in Chalfont. Your options may include:
• Oral appliances: Oral appliances are small, mouthguard-like devices that are worn at night to prevent teeth grinding. They can be custom-made to fit your mouth and provide you with long-term relief by realigning your jaw.
• Botox injections: Botox is a popular treatment for wrinkles, but it can also be used to relieve tension in the muscles around the TMJ. The injections are quick and relatively painless, and they can provide you with long-lasting relief from your TMJ symptoms.
• Dental restoration: If your TMJ is caused by teeth grinding, we may recommend dental restoration treatments such as veneers or crowns. This will not treat TMJ, but it can help to restore a damaged smile.
• Surgery: In severe cases, surgery may be necessary to correct the alignment of the jaw.
Contact Us Today
If you’re ready to get relief from your TMJ pain, we invite you to contact our office today to schedule a consultation. Our team at Highpoint Dental Medicine will work with you to develop a treatment plan that meets your unique needs and goals.